Nicole Potenza Denis
Nicole Denis is a contributing foodspring blogger.Click here to read the latest foodie-mom blogs
Arancini di Riso (Rice Balls)user rating
3 cups Arborio rice2 pounds ground beef (you can also use a mix of beef, pork and/or veal)
1 yellow onion, minced
1 cup peas, cooked
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1 cup grated Parmigiano Reggiano (or Parmesan)
Salt and pepper to taste
¼ pound of fresh mozzarella, shredded
¼ cup of milk
Oil for deep frying
Makes approx. 10 large or 25 small ballsMethod:
1. Prepare rice according to package directions. (You can substitute chicken broth for water for more flavor.)
2. Sauté ground beef with onion.
3. In a large bowl, combine ground beef, peas and rice. Let cool completely.
4. Add garlic powder, Parmigiano, 3 eggs, salt, pepper and shredded mozzarella to mixture. Mix well.
5. In a separate bowl mix remaining 3 eggs with milk. Set aside.
6. In another bowl, pour in breadcrumbs.
7. Shape rice mixture into balls, dip each ball into egg mixture then dredge in breadcrumbs covering completely.
8. Deep-fry in hot oil until golden brown. Set on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper to cool. Serve cool or heat in the oven before serving.