Chef Gabriel Rucker is proprietor and chef at Portland, Oregon’s Le PigeonLearn more about Chef Rucker
Cornbread Cake with Bacon Recipe
From Chef Gabriel Ruckeruser rating
Chef Gabriel Rucker from Portland, Oregon’s Le Pigeon shares his recipes for Le Pigeon Cornbread Cake with Bacon. Find more of Chef Rucker's recipes by clicking on the following link: Featured Chef: Gabriel Rucker.
½ cup diced bacon
¾ cup flour
1 ¼ cup cornmeal
2 teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoons baking soda
½ teaspoons salt
¼ cup sugar
2 eggs, lightly beaten
½ cup milk
¾ cup buttermilk
3 tablespoons honey
1 tablespoons molasses
½ cup sliced dried apricots
1. Preheat oven to 325° F. Butter and flour an 8-inch square baking pan; set aside.
2. Cook bacon in butter until crispy.
3. While bacon is cooking, combine flour, cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda, salt and sugar. Whisk to blend.
4. Make a crater in the center of the dry mix and add eggs, milk and buttermilk. Stir until lightly combined.
5. Add honey, molasses, apricots and cooked bacon bits. Mix again until evenly combined, and pour into pan.
6. Bake at 325° F for approximately 20 - 30 minutes until cake has risen and center is firm and dry when toothpick is inserted.
7. Cool and cut into small squares. Serve with maple ice cream.