Red Beans and Rice with Bone Doctors' Premium Spice Blend
Red beans and rice was a favorite of one of the Bone Doctors while living in New Orleans before becoming a surgeon. This variation uses Bone Doctors' Premium Spice Blend as its foundation seasoning.user rating
Cooking Time: 180 minutesIngredients:
- 1 lb. smoked link sausage, halved lengthwise and cut crosswise into 1/4-in. thick slices (the Bone Doctors smoke fresh andouie sausage with applewood)
- 1 lb. dried red kidney beans, picked over
- 1 large sweet onion, chopped
- 2 pale-green inner celery ribs with leaves, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 cups water
- one 16-oz. can low-sodium chicken broth
- 4 bay leaves
- 1 tsp. Tabasco
- 2 Tbsps. Bone Doctors' Premium Spice Blend
- rice, white or brown, enough for six individual servings
1. Soak beans in water overnight. Drain, then combine all ingredients in a 6-quart heavy kettle. Bring mixture to a boil and simmer, covered for 2 hours.
2. After 2 hours, using a potato masher, lightly mash the mixture while still in the pot. Remove lid and continue cooking at a low simmer for another hour, adding water to desired consistency, if needed. Serve with rice.