Cabot Creamery Cooperative50% Reduced Fat Cheddar | Reduced Fat Cream Cheese
Reduced Fat Mac & Cheeseuser rating
- 2 cups small dry elbow macaroni
- cooking spray
- 3 Tbsp. King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 2 cups low-fat 1% milk
- 1/4 tsp. dry mustard
- 1/4 tsp. garlic powder (optional)
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- pinch of ground red pepper (cayenne)
- dash of Worcestershire sauce
- 2 oz. Cabot Neufchatel Reduced Fat Cream Cheese
- 8 oz. Cabot 50% Reduced Fat Cheddar, grated and divided, about 2 cups
- 1/3 cup Italian-flavored or plain dry breadcrumbs
1. Cook macaroni according to package directions; drain well.
2. Preheat oven to 350° F. Spray a 2 1/2-quart baking dish with cooking spray and set aside.
3. Place flour in a large saucepan over medium heat, gradually whisking in milk. Add mustard, garlic powder, salt, black pepper, red pepper and Worcestershire. Continue cooking until sauce thickens, stirring constantly.
4. Reduce heat to low. Stir in cream cheese until well blended; add 2/3 of shredded cheese and stir until melted. Add macaroni, stirring until well coated. Pour into prepared baking dish.
5. Toss remaining shredded cheese with breadcrumbs and sprinkle over top of macaroni; spray with cooking spray.
6. Bake for 20 minutes, or until golden on top and bubbling throughout.