Rustic Parmigiano-Reggiano Cheese Torte (Torta rustica al formaggio Parmigiano-Reggiano)user rating
2 Tbsp. unsalted butter
1 clove garlic, minced
½ cup plain breadcrumbs
¾ cup walnuts, finely chopped
¼ tsp. salt
1 lb. cream cheese, softened
½ lb. grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
2 large egg yolks, whites reserved
¼ cup + 1 Tbsp. heavy cream
2 tsp. Dijon mustard
½ tsp. white pepper
1 Tbsp. cornstarch
1½ Tbsp. shallots, finely minced
pinch cream of tartar
1. Grease the inside of an 8-inch springform pan. Set aside. Heat oven to 325 F.
2. To make the crust: In a large saute pan over medium heat, melt the butter. Add garlic, and cook briefly. Add breadcrumbs, walnuts and salt. Stir, mixing well the butter and crumbs. Remove from heat and let cool. Press the mixture into bottom of prepared springform pan.
3. Blend cream cheese and Parmigiano-Reggiano until smooth. Add egg yolks one at a time until blended. Blend in cream. Add mustard, pepper, cornstarch and minced shallots. Blend until smooth.
4. In another mixing bowl, beat egg whites with cream of tartar until stiff but not dry. Fold gently into cheese mixture. Spoon into the pan and even the surface.
5. Bake 1 hour. Turn off oven and leave cake inside without opening the oven door for 1 hour. Remove the cheesecake and cover with a damp towel. Let cool to room temperature.
6. Top with Glazed Fruit Topping (recipe here), and serve.
For more information, visit parmigiano-reggiano.it.