Mary's Chinese Sesame Cookies
Holiday Cookie Swap Recipesuser rating
This holiday season, give the chocolate chip cookies and holiday-shaped cutters a break and step up your game with some decadent, upscale cookie fare. This recipe is from Mary Oreskovich, owner of Hopscotch Bakery, Pueblo, Colo.–Nicole Denis
Serves: Makes 16 cookiesIngredients:
1/4 cup white sesame seeds
1/4 cup black sesame seeds
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon kosher salt
4 cups all-purpose flour
2 cups sugar
16 ounces unsalted butter, softened (4 sticks)
2 tablespoons almond extract
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
2. Mix together white and black sesame seeds and set aside.
3. Sift together baking soda, salt and flour. Set aside.
4. In a mixing bowl, cream together sugar and butter until light and fluffy, occasionally scraping down the sides of the bowl.
5. Add eggs to butter mixture, one at a time.
6. Add almond extract, mixing briefly.
7. Add dry ingredients, mixing until incorporated. Do not overmix.
8. With your hands or a small ice cream scoop, shape dough into desired size. Drop and roll into sesame seeds.
9. Place on parchment-lined baking sheets and bake until edges are golden brown.