Sweet Cheesus Mac n' Cheeseuser rating
Check out Theo Peck's winning recipe from sMACdown (minus his secret homemade sausage recipe).
4 shallots, sliced thin on a mandolin
1 pound dried macaroni
5 cups whole milk
1 onion, peeled, cut into quarters
2 bay leaves
4 tablespoons flour
1 teaspoons mustard powder
1 tablespoons sweet and smoked paprika
4 tablespoons butter, unsalted
10 garlic cloves, peeled
1/2 can tomato paste
1 cup carrot juice
3/4 cup heavy cream
5 slices American cheese
5 ounces sharp Cheddar 3 ounces D'affinos (soft double or triple cream cheese), rind removed
1/4 cup Ricotta, soft
1/4 cup Pecorino Romano
1 lb. Breakfast Sage n' Ginger Sausage, or Bratwurst, sliced into coins, cooked and seared offMethod:
To make the fried shallots:
Toss the shallots with enough flour and a couple pinches of salt to thinly coat. Shake off excess and fry in 1/2 inch of canola oil. Drain on paper towel and sprinkle with salt.
To make the garlic cream:
Place the garlic in a small pot, cover with cold water and bring to a simmer and strain. Repeat adding cold water, simmer and strain. Place garlic back in small pot and add 1 cup of milk. Bring to a simmer, turn off heat and let steep until it cools down to warm. Place in blender, puree and set aside.
To make the Bechamel sauce:
1. Scald the remaining 4 cups of milk with onion, cloves and bay leaf, and set aside to steep.
2. Heat and reduce carrot juice by half; strain and set aside.
3. Melt butter in medium to large pot.
4. Whisk together flour, mustard and paprika. Add to melted butter and whisk until smooth, and cook for about 1 minute.
5. Strain milk and add to the roux slowly continually whisking to keep it smooth.
6. Cook out the flour taste, about 5 minutes.
7. Add garlic cream, tomato paste and carrot juice and whisk.
8. Add cheeses, and continue to whisk.
9. Use the cream to thin sauce out to desired thickness.
To assemble: Cook the pasta and drain. Mix pasta with Bechamel and sausage, then cover with fried shallots.