Monini North AmericaMonini IGP Toscano EVOO
Sweet Focaccia with Fresh Berries and Mascarpone Creamuser rating
- 2 tsp. instant dry yeast
- 7 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 tsp. sea salt
- 1/2 cup Monini IGP Toscano EVOO
- 3 pints fresh berries
- 1/2 cup sugar
- Mascarpone cream:
- 1/2 lb. mascarpone, preferably imported Italian
- grated zest of 1 orange
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup Monini IGP Toscano EVOO
- 1/2 cup sugar
1. To make the dough: Combine the yeast, flour, sugar and salt in a food processor. With the motor running, add 1 1/2 cups warm water (110° F). Add the olive oil with the motor running and then add enough warm water to make a soft dough that does not stick to the sides of the bowl (about 1/2 cup). Process 45 seconds. Lightly oil a bowl and place the dough in it; wrap and let rise until doubled, about 1 hour. (You can also set the dough to rise in the refrigerator for up to 24 hours; it will develop more flavor during the slow rise. If you are refrigerating the dough, return it to room temperature before proceeding.)
2. Cut the risen dough in 2 even pieces and shape each into a ball. Cover with plastic and let rest 30 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, preheat the oven with a baking stone in it to 550° F.
4. Flatten each ball of dough into a disk. Place each on a lightly oiled sheet of parchment paper. Using your hands, flatten into a thin round, about 1/2-inch thick; you might need to wait 5 minutes for the dough to stretch more easily.
5. Pour the olive oil evenly over the focaccias and spread it with your hands all over the dough. Sprinkle each of the focaccias with 2 tablespoons of the sugar and dimple them vigorously with your fingers.
6. Bake the focaccias one at a time. Place the parchment paper on the baking stone and bake each foccacia for 8 minutes or until golden and still a little soft. Remove from the oven, sprinkle each with 2 tablespoons of the remaining sugar, and cut into wedges.
7. To make the berries: Toss all the ingredients in a bowl.
8. To make the mascarpone cream: Whisk all the ingredients in a bowl.
9. Serve the focaccia wedges with the berries and mascarpone cream.